Wednesday, October 24, 2007

POWER OF THE BELLY

Having a noticeable pregnant belly is extremely powerful and exciting. It's amazing how many people (even complete strangers) come up to my belly and rub it or give it some kind of love. I have realized that a pregnant belly can be therapeutic because I have noticed how cheerful people are when they are around it and talking about babies. It's a great tool to have while working in the hospital. Last week at work one of my patients was at the end of his life. The family had decided just hours before I came on shift to make the patient "Comfort Measures" only. I had not met the family yet and was preparing to face a distraught group of family and close friends. As I entered the patient's room, the family and some close friends were gathered at his side. And then the focus shifted immediately to my pregnant belly. I wasn't prepared for that to be the initial conversation but it just happened that way. We then shifted from discussing my belly and future baby to reminiscing about the man lying before us growing up from a baby and into adulthood. The whole experience was quite beautiful as the family and friends shared many great stories of their loved one. We were all present when the patient took his final breath. The moment was so peaceful, and when the family and friends left, we exchanged hugs and wished each other well with them again focusing on the unborn baby in my belly. The full cycle of life is in effect every day.

1 comment:

Josh said...

thank you for sharing that beautiful moment.