Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Musical Therapy

At my doctor's visit last week, my doctor asked me how I was doing with constipation. As some of you know constipation can be a terrible discomfort and problem during pregnancy. I mentioned to him that things are going well now that I am able to eat better with my granola and/or oatmeal breakfasts. I also told him I was doing two different rituals to help with having a good movement. The two rituals came to a surprise to him and was something he had definitely never heard before. I had told him that for one I have been reading some of Ina May's (a well known midwife) books and suggestions on labor etc. She talks a lot about the Sphincter Law and suggests relaxing the jaw and creating a vibrating sound can aid in relaxing the perineum during labor. She also states to try it for constipation. So every now and then I find myself "ohming" on the toilet. It works like a charm. The other ritual involves Adam being around. He decided to one day grab his guitar and instead of singing the "Blues", he made up a song about the "Poos" and sang it to me. It makes me laugh hysterically every time and also works. My doctor looked at me a little strangely. I said, "Hey, whatever works, right?" And he documented, "constipation relieved with musical therapy"

No comments: